mention that when shopping for a new computer the 3.5in floppy-drive is optional, not standard. The 5.25in floppy drive is t-shirts. I should note that the new video card will have more RAM than second computer could have dreamed of, and could single handedly beat the binary out of first computer. I mightI've recently been shopping for a new computer. The one I've decided on will cost about the same as the computer I received when I graduated from high school 8000 years ago (in technology years) but will have slightly different technical specs. I don't know what technical specs do for the average computer users, but I was told that if I want to play my Lord of the Rings computer game I would need better technical specs. To illustrate a few of the differences in technical specs I will compare first computer to new computer. First computer had 32mb of RAM (we upgraded from 16), a 1.7G hard drive, a 28.8bps modem, and a 16X CD-ROM drive. I was the envy of all the tech-geeks at school. Second computer was substantially better, and could be called in its time "totally awesome" (Utah residents will remember the annoying commercials). New computer (when it finally arrives) will have a sufficiently high amount of RAM that adding an additional 32mb would not be enough to notice, and would in fact be rounded out of existence when reporting the total speed. The total memory will be the equivalent of 150 first computers, and the modem is only there as an after thought in case of emergencies requiring "dial-up" technology. CD-ROM drives are so antiquated that CD-ROM owners are often harassed by gang members wearing "DVD +/-/rw/hi-fi/magic/8track" only available at your finer archeological suppliers.
Are we being forced to pay an "upgrade tax" to an evil shadow government who secretly runs all of technology? Why aren't software companies making 3.1 compatible programs anymore? Are we being mocked as we look out our windows by Linux users who maintain an air of superiority despite their lack of easy to find compatible peripherals? What do all these technical specs mean?
You just can't conquer the world on 8000 year old technical specs. The refresh rate is just too slow.
Sunday, February 19, 2006
On Computing Power
Posted by Big Morty at Sunday, February 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
This year the Air Force is upgrading the computers in the Launch Control Centers (where I work). We are going to double the amount of memory in them from 16 to 32 MB -- that is all the processor can handle. Hey, it's the first upgrade since coming on line. Our modem weighs roughly 50lbs, and did I mention our phones are pulse dial and not tone?
I am gathering components to build a new computer for the Vista OS..It will have to have a DVD player recorder since the vista os is on a DVD..I haven't decided yet on a motherboard but there are certain things that it must have(large front bus andat least 4 gigs of RAM) probably asus with AMD processor. I am flabergasted by dakrats computer, man what a dinasaur..
Ps the first computer I built and started out with was in an old wang square case that came from a church. Windows 95, blue screens, Black screens, and enough trouble to try the patience of a fence post.. anyway, happy Blogging>
Me kill mammoth...eat for month...who need silly computer thing.
Post a Comment